It is truly Summertime, Summertime here in the Lone Star State. You know, we are the state which my daughter, Samantha, kindly refers to as; “Living in Texas in the Summer is like living on the Sun.” True story friends. So if you don’t have a pool or a boat or you are just plain HOT! You are going to need this Summertime pasta salad to cool you off!
I bet you didn’t know a salad could cool you off. Well, just maybe that’s a stretch, but this salad can reduce time in the kitchen. That’s a good thing, right?
Make this pasta salad a day ahead of serving and let all of these amazing flavors meld into a glorious infusion of tasty coolness. During the Summer months if I can limit my days over the cooktop to just a few it makes me feel so much happier.
Summertime meal planning has never been so easy and so many of these gorgeous vegetables can be found in your own garden or a wonderful Farmers Market. This salad makes a good argument for eating fresh and the good thing is that it keeps well in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Pasta Salad
- 1 pound bow-tie or penne pasta
- 1 can spicey black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 pints villagio marzano tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 ears freshed corn, shucked ( about 1 cup fresh corn kernels)
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup crmbled feta cheese
- Parsely (optional for garnish
- Basil, Jalapeno & Herb Pesto
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup lightly packed Cilantro
- 1 to 2 medium jalapenos seeds and membranes removed and lightly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Directions For Cooking Pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, rinse and return to pot.
- Directons For Making Pesto
- Combine herbs, jalapeno, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice and salt in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add olive oil and process until processed and smooth.
- Directions For Pasta Salad
- Transfer Pasta to a large mixing bowl and add beans, tomatoes, and corn to pasta. Pour Pesto over the pasta and vegetable mixture and mix well. If serving immediatley add cheese and avocado. Otherwise wait to add these ingredients until just before serving. Garnish with parsely if desired.
- This salad tastes best after 6 hours or chilling overnight.
- Need it Gluten Free-Use gluten free pasta.
- Need it Dairy Free- Omit feta cheese.
We have been having some Summertime fun with family in May and June.
We celebrated Tucker’s third Birthday.
Schools Out! Lunch with Samantha and Afton. ( We like our earrings)
Summertime in the Kitchen!
Thank you for joining me today and may all of your dreams come true!!