Hi creative friends, I have been dreaming of Fall have you? As I dream I also love to sketch and doodle. When I have worn myself out with all of that I make a Mood Board. I just bet that many of you have created a Mood Board at some point in your life too. Mood boards are a wonderful tool to use when creating. In essence a mood board is a compilation of inspirational elements that are super helpful in weeding out ideas at the beginning of a design project.
There was a time when I was fearful of a mood board. (that sounds pretty ridiculous doesn’t it??) In my mind I had this running narrative that there was some perfect way to make them and that notion alone terrified me. But guess what?? I WAS WRONG! Mood boards can be whatever you need them to be!
Freedom! Personally I love mood boards!
I love making them…in-fact truth be told often times I like making them more than the actual project. A mood board is a wonderful way for me to visualize my project and they always helps me stay on track, they balance my creativity with the reality of the project.
I also just happen to like stickers and glitter…so this is a great way to prime my creative juices and let the colors pop and flow!
HOW TO MAKE A MOOD BOARD FOR A CREATIVE PROJECT
- First I think about what it is I am trying to say and choose images and products that I feel a genuine emotional connection to. When I am making my pompom wreaths I think a ton about colors, seasons, functionality, durability, value, size, quality and placement of the wreath.
HOW TO CHOOSE COLORS
- I have discovered that it best not to use the entire rainbow! I just stick to colors that will remind me of the project that I am working on currently. Creating this visual theme to work from helps my concept to look more pulled together.
THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY
- I suppose one of the things I adore most about a mood board for Creators is that there is really no right or wrong way to arrange your images! I am strictly working off the variety of sources that I have included to inspire me. My mood board is mine and it can be whatever I need it to be!
SIMPLE SUPPLIES FOR MY MOOD BOARD
- Once my mood board is finished I like to place them on an easel or wall. They continue to drive, inspire and direct me. Once a theme, season or marketing campaign is over I put them away.
- I have included an abbreviated list of supplies that I used to make my creators mood board and some shopping links as well. However you can most certainly find all of these products at any crafting shop too.
- Foam Poster Board
- Felt Balls
- Handmade Pompoms
- Affirmative phrases
When I create a mood board it helps me hone in on textures, size, shape, colors, patterns and the over feel of the design of whatever it is that I am making. Truly friends try using mood boards for your next project, they work for garden planning too, they are such a fun and efficient way to communicate your design to others or to keep yourself on track!
Thank you for joining me today and may all your dreams come true!