Hello Friends! In commemoration of the final episode of Making It and my Birthday, I thought we’d explore the possibility of making our own DIY Cake Topper. Do not be afraid! I am the Maker who makes things that you can make too! You know, there is no earthly reason why we can’t. I know that you and I have creative ideas bursting like bubbles and we need to take that creativity and put it to good use! Let’s do this!
I’ve enjoyed making, and baking forever…so years ago I took a Wilton Cake Decorating Class. I learned so much. I messed up making roses… but not the stars and I even got a handle on how to use fondant to create very special cakes. But the thing I loved most about it all was that I could make very special Birthday cakes for my children.
I made a Strawberry Shortcake cake ( do you remember how good Strawberry Shortcake smelled) a Batman Cake, and of course the traditional Easter Bunny Cake.
The thing I most disliked about it all was clean up…But, that was probably because of cleaning up that buttercream frosting…it was a little like glue, do you remember that too????
For this sweet Love Bird Topper we are going to need just a few supplies and of course a really good cake and frosting. I have that covered as I am going to be sharing this recipe this week too.
One word for this homemade cake and frosting. Scrumptious!
A good designing and creating practice is to always use a sketch or mood board when designing projects before purchasing any product. I think of it as making a grocery list before going to the grocery store.
Supplies for Love Bird Cake Topper
- Beveled mirror (5″-7″)
- Silver wire basket ( 2 1/2″)
- (2) 1″ White Birds
- Mini fabric roses
- La Petites Rosette Flower Stickers
- Stick on jewels and hearts
- Edible glitter
- Epoxy (Note: In general, casein mixes will set in 20-30 minutes and attain full curing in 4-6 hours.)
Making The Love Bird Cake Topper
- Invert silver wire basket and using epoxy glue attach beveled mirror to basket. Dry for 30 minutes.
- Position love birds on beveled mirror and attach with epoxy glue.
- Attach desired embellishments to Love Birds.
- Attach fabric roses with epoxy glue.
- Attach stickers as desired.
- Once epoxy has set place Love Bird cake topper on cake and sprinkle edible glitter on mirror.
Congratulations to the Bride and Groom on Making It this Tuesday!
Thanks for stopping by friends and may love surround you this week!